If you suffer from aches and pains that impact your ability to work or participate in activities you enjoy, it may be time to visit an orthopedic specialist. Commonly referred to as an orthopedist, an orthopedic specialist is a doctor who specializes in the musculoskeletal system, including bones, joints, muscles, ligaments, tendons and nerves.
At Plano Orthopedic Sports Medicine & Spine Center, our orthopedic specialists thoroughly assess each patient’s overall health and the extent of their injuries. Before any treatment commences, we identify which tendons, ligaments, muscles, and joints are affected. Based on the information we collect during our examinations and interviews with the patient, we then develop a treatment regimen suited to address the patient’s specific needs. These treatments may include:
· Physical Therapy. Physical therapy can help patients increase and potentially regain their full range of motion. When used in conjunction with other treatments, physical therapy is a highly effective process that generates positive, long-lasting results.
· Massage Therapy. Massage therapy can help reduce swelling and increase blood flow throughout the body’s musculoskeletal system. Steady and repeated massage sessions can help alleviate pain and expedite patient recovery.
· Surgery. Surgery can help alleviate pain and loss of motion from joints that have worn out, tendons or ligaments that are torn, broken bones that were not properly set, or vertebrae that have slipped out of place.
· Chiropractic Care. Chiropractic care can help realign the spine, joints, and other musculoskeletal structures. It can also alleviate pain and increase a patient’s mobility and range of motion.
· Medication. Injuries take time to heal and this can require an orthopedic specialist to prescribe pain medication to alleviate pain and discomfort. Medication can allow patients to continue their lives comfortably as the affected systems heal and recover.
· Protective Braces. Protective braces can be prescribed to treat conditions such as carpal tunnel syndrome, dislocated knees or tendonitis.
When to see an orthopedic specialist
Again, the first sign that you should see an orthopedic specialist is if you have difficulty performing everyday activities. Bone and joint discomfort is common in older people, but it should not inhibit your daily activities. If you struggle to perform simple tasks such as climbing stairs or walking your dog, you should see an orthopedist.
Additional reasons to see an orthopedic specialist might include:
· You suffer from chronic pain. Chronic pain is often defined as any pain lasting longer than official houston texans Jerseys 12 weeks. Experiencing a few days of discomfort is one thing, but after several weeks and months of it, you should strongly consider seeking professional help.
· Your range of motion is becoming limited. Are your joints feeling tighter and tighter as the days go by? A limited range of motion can signify joint disease such as arthritis. It’s important to see a licensed orthopedic specialist as soon as possible to prevent your condition from getting worse.
· You experience instability while walking or standing. Do you feel shaky or wobbly when performing basic functions such as standing, walking, sitting down, or standing up? houston texans Jersey youth This is a sure sign that something is wrong with your joints. Your best option is to consult with a medical professional in order to determine the cause of your instability, and work on correcting it.
· You’ve suffered a soft tissue injury that has not improved in 48 hours. Have you recently suffered from a soft tissue injury, such as a sprained ankle, twisted knee, or broken wrist? If the pain and swelling does not subside within two days, it’s important to schedule an appointment with a physician right away.
Call Plano Orthopedic Sports Medicine & Spine Center today
Residents of DFW don’t need to look any further than POSMC for all of their orthopedic needs. As one of the largest and most experienced orthopedic practices in North Texas, we have the tools and the orthopedic specialists needed to fix virtually every bone and joint in your body! Call us today to schedule your appointment at 972-250-5700. We look forward to seeing you soon! Contact us today!